Sage Smash Sausages
It’s TIME to swap your boring egg breakfast for these Sage Smash Sausages. They are perfect for a hearty crisp fall morning breakfast, meal prep like a dream and you can bulk them up with whatever sounds good in the moment.
These are a great option for meal prepped breakfast protein because they will last 4 days in the fridge, or you can freeze the patties (raw) and cook directly from frozen. Whole30 and family friendly but also completely indulgent if you have a hankering for some gravy and a biscuit to add to the brunch spread.
Sage Smash Sausage - Perfect Breakfast Protein
3 tbsp fresh sage, roughly chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp fennel seeds
¼ tsp nutmeg
4 dates, pitted and soaked in ¼ cup boiling water and blended smooth*
1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional if you like a little heat)
3 tbsp avocado oil, or more as needed
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix together the Country Natural Beef Butcher's Blend, sage, thyme, fennel seeds, nutmeg, cooled date puree, and crushed red pepper.
- Mix with your hands until just combined, be careful not to over mix.
- Preheat a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet to medium heat.
- Add in some oil and move the pan around to evenly distribute it.
- Using a small spoon, scoop out 4 meat balls approximately 3 tbsp worth and add to the hot skillet.
- Using a jar, lid. bowl or other flat-bottomed object, quickly ‘smash' and evenly distribute the meat into the skillet creating more surface area to cook and caramelize.
- This will make approximately 20 small smash sausage patties
- Cook briefly, approximately 1-1.5 minutes on the first side, and another minute on the second side.
Use a thin metal spatula to flip successfully.
Set the finished sausages aside and continue to add add oil as needed before adding the next round of sausage.
These will keep for 4 days in a sealed container in the fridge.